Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Few Problems Arising

We didn't sleep much last night. I'm starting to worry about the project. We got a lovely surprise yesterday when we drove past, expecting to see no change at all. They'd almost completed the frame. It was so exciting, and I felt a little emotional. I messaged the other half and suggested he drive past on his way home from work to have a look. Sure enough he did, and was delighted with their efficiency.... PROBLEM IS.... they have framed up a window on the back wall of the rumpus instead of a sliding door. It's not just any sliding door missing either. It's a very expensive door, as we had to pay the post-contract variation fee, a fee to get our energy rating reassessed and the subsequent cost of double glazing the back windows to keep our energy rating.
I'm worrying now because with this, and the discrepancy between our plans and the display home plans (even though its just a small amount), I've lost a considerable amount of confidence in Carlisle. Adding to this, when I rang them this morning to inform them of the error, a new matter was brought to my attention.
APPARENTLY, the eaves that are at the front of our house on our plans, and on the plans for the display home aren't supposed to be there. I am really cross and want to use lots of swear words, but will hold off until we get the full story later. The front of the house faces north, and I want the eaves! We have signed a contract saying the house will be built according to these plans, and if they can charge us $500 to make a post-contract variation that we want to make, are they going to compensate us for their oversight? It's not even about the money, I want my bloody eaves!!
All I can think is that it may be because the display home has a colorbond roof and we have tiles, and that alters the pitch of the roof, and therefore the eaves might put it all out of alignment? I don't know. If so, then they should give us a colorbond roof then. It's not our mistake.
What I do know, however, is that we have signed off on the plans with the eaves, and that's what we expect to get.
And, in case you haven't noticed, I'm cross!

1 comment:

jen said...

You are very brave Jen! It sounds like you have a good handle on what you want, and I know you can be very convincing when you want to be, so I'm sure you'll get things sorted in the end! Good luck.